Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Missing Connecticut



Here I am, in a Seattle neighborhood that actually has the balls to bill itself as "The Center of the Universe". The weather is perfect. I could literally walk to half a dozen clubs with really good live music - not to mention a decent used book store, a food co-op, and even a vegan restaurant. Cars actually stop to let me cross the street (how weird is that?). I have yet to be bitten by a mosquito. No one worries about Lyme Disease, or West Nile Virus. There is almost no trash on the streets.

I'm sure that it's hotter, more humid, and smoggier in CT.  The mosquitoes are out, at dusk, carrying West Nile Virus, and the threat of encephalitis.  The ozone level is way up, and asthmatics are crowding the ER's. My own breathing would be affected - which is no small thing, on a day to day basis. Kids are getting shot in New Haven. Drivers are dying, practically daily, on I-95. The music scene has been on life support for years. Nothing to do but hide in an air-conditioned room - and try not to think about the bill for the a/c.

Why do I miss this place?

I don't know, but I do. And I love this video. Especially that opening zoooom up the highway, with the music blaring, and then the guy saying, "This is how we f&*%ing do it in Bridgeport. Welcome home." I keep looping that part, obsessively. But, I think the whole video is really well done.

It makes me happy to know that these kids are out there, creating art, creating movies, balancing out the bad karma from the snobs and hedge fund managers (aka economic terrorists) in Greenwich. And it reminds me of that indefinable spirit that I like about the place.

No comments: